March Arts Alive
First Saturday Night Arts Alive!
Saturday, March 4, 2017
Presented by Eureka Main Street. Opening receptions for artists, exhibits and performances are held the first Saturday of each month, 6-9 p.m.. For more information, phone Eureka Main Street at 442-9054 or go to www.eurekamainstreet.org
1. HUMBOLDT ARTS COUNCIL at the Morris Graves Museum¬ of Art 636 F St. William Thonson Gallery From the Collection: New Acquisitions puts on view, in many instances for the first time, selections from collection newcomers. Knight Gallery Ellen Litwiller: Natura Morta, Natura Viva. Rocks appear to be inanimate and dead to us however they go through incredible transformations during their geologic lifetime. These images of rocks are brought into a more traditional setting to encourage a fresh awareness and affection for the ground beneath our feet. Anderson Gallery Humboldt Collects! Celebrating the intrinsic beauty and insightful stories found within the collections and the people who make them, this show examines how the items we collect inform notions of who we are as individuals and a community. Melvin Schuler Sculpture Garden “Soul Night”, Chuck Johnson. A multifarious career in the audio / visual industry has led Chuck Johnson of Freak Photo to team up with clients such as The Library of Congress, The Smithsonian Institute, Academy and Grammy Award winning composers, musicians, and just plain wonderful people. He currently produces The Humboldt Live Sessions, a music video series shot on locations all around Humboldt County. The Soul Night installation is inspired by The Big Picture Humboldt, an exhibition curated by Johnson, utilizing and beautifying disused public spaces with wheat-pasted, large format black and white photographs. This series of photographs explores the ecstatic ritual of engaging in one of Humboldt’s most coveted nightlife experiences. Store/Permanent Collection Gallery Selection of gifts and merchandise inspired by artwork on view by Morris Graves, Glenn Berry, Melvin Schuler, and Romano Gabriel. Homer Balabanis Gallery Humboldt Artist Sara Starr. Designated as an artist cooperative, the gallery features local artists working in a variety of media from representational and abstract paintings, prints, jewelry, photographs, and ceramics.
2. REDWOOD ART ASSOCIATION 603 F St. 59th Spring Exhibition, a judged exhibition with awards for RAA Members thru April 7, 2017. Judge: Alan Sanborn, watercolor artist and instructor. Meet the Judge Saturday, March 4, 4:30pm (before reception). Arts Alive! Reception: 5-6pm, Awards Presentation at 5:30pm.
3. PAUL’S LIVE FROM NEW YORK PIZZA 604 F St.
4. DISCOVERY MUSEUM 612 G St. Kids Alive Drop Off Program 5:30 to 8 p.m. Kids 3-12 $15 members/$20 non members
5. DALIANES TRAVEL 522 F St. “Naked Emotions”, Pat Kanzler, acrylic and oil paintings. Some prints available. Music by Wynsome Winds.
6. F STREET PHOTO GALLER at SWANLUND’S 527 F St. Featuring portraits taken by five local photographers in their March exhibit entitled Faces of Humboldt. Photographers, Brandi Easter, Bob Doran, Barrie Love, Lorraine Miller-Wolf and Dona Moxon all share a passion for photographing people, which is evident in the portraits that will be on display for the month.
7. EVOLUTION ACADEMY FOR THE ARTS 526 Fifth St.
8. HUMBOLDT REPUBLIC 535 Fourth St. Canvases of local screen printing.
9. STONESTHROW BOUTIQUE 423 F St. Christina Anastasia, visionary acrylic paintings. Refereshments. Dj music.
9a. NORTH COAST DANCE 426 F St. Presenting ballet pointe pieces performed by North Coast Dance dancers to original music by Ultra Secret (featuring Tamaras Abrams, Tyler Martin, Josh Foster, and Justin Ross).
10. SURFSIDE BURGER SHACK 445 Fifth St.
11. SOULSHINE ARTS 411 Fifth St. Glass Artists Willow and Ember. Come make your own glass flower!
12. SIDEWALK GALLERY at Ellis Art and Engineering 401 Fifth St. “Synchromystic” by Roman Villagrana.
13. NORTH COAST REPERTORY THEATRE 300 Fifth St.
14. CHERI BLACKERBY GALLERY and THE STUDIO 272 C St . “Art In My Work Boots”, Reuben T. Mayers, brilliantly colorful abstract expressionist paintings and ceramic works.
15. C STREET STUDIOS & HALL GALLERY 208 C St. Kathy O’Leary presents the outdoor works of over a dozen plein air artists. Mark “Tree” Allen, Wild wooden art and products.
16. SAILOR’S GRAVE TATTOO 138 Second St. Tattoo related art, antiques, and memorabilia. New works.
17. MANTOVA’S TWO STREET MUSIC 124 Second St. Music by Adamis Band, American ballads.
18. GALLAGHER’S IRISH PUB 139 Second St. Ron Thompson, oil paintings.
19. JACK’S SEAFOOD RESTAURANT 4 C St., Suite B Richard Dunning, paintings.
20. STEVE AND DAVE’S First and C St. Barry Evans, photography. Music by Dr. Squid.
21. REDWOOD CURTAIN 220 First St. Nancy Jioras, wire wrapped stone jewelry. Abbreviated gallery hours due to the theatre production underway – Emilie, La Marquis du Chatalet Defends Her Life Tonight.
22. CHAPALA CAFE 201 Second St. Kylan Luken, photography.
23. GOOD RELATIONS 223 Second St. Rachel Robinson, paintings.
24. HUMBOLDT HERBALS 300 Second St. “Subtle Relationships”, Michal Mugrage, acrylic and mixed media paintings. Live jazz music by Blue Lotus Jazz.
24. C.L. LEATHERS 320 Second St
25. THE SIREN’S SONG 325 Second Street, Suite 102
25a. RADIANT LIVING GALLERY 325 Second St., Suite 302
25b. BLUE OX BOUTIQUE 325 Second St. Augustus Clark, paintings.
25c. HERE & THERE & VINTAGE 339 Second St. Featuring local crafts & gallery art, Mexican treasures.
26. CLARKE HISTORICAL MUSEUM 240 E St. “Humboldt County Remembers the 1960s”, special highlights being music & ladies’ fashion. Community Case features vintage & modern teapots, from the collection of Cheryl Pekar.
27. BELLA BASKETS 311 E St. Robin and John Praytor, mosaic art; Humbolicious first pressed olive oil tasting!
26b. HSU THIRD STREET GALLERY 416 Third St. “Just Kids: tender forever”, Megan May and Marval A. Rex, video, photographs, and installation.; “Trasnportraits”, Lorenzo Triburgo, photographs.
27. STUDIO 424 424 Third St.
27a. THE BODEGA 426 Third St.
27b. SHIPWRECK! Vintage and Handmade 430 Third St. Abstracted branches and other organic forms. Oil paintings in unapologetic color by Jacqui Langeland.
27c. BECAUSE COFFEE 300 F St. Violet Crabtree, pictures of a sad person, and their road to happiness, through color. Seana Burden, paints and “glitterizes” her dreams.
28. THE SPEAKEASY 411 Opera Alley
28a. CAFÉ NOONER 409 Opera Alley Music by John Myers and Jim Silva, acoustical guitars and singing harmonies.
29. RAMONE’S 209 E St. Artists from The Studio. Bird AllyX will be pouring wine to raise money for their nonprofit. Music by Blake Ritter , violin.
29a. BOOKLEGGER 402 Second St. Featuring the Art of the Written Word.
30. LOS BAGELS TRUCHAS GALLERY 403 Second St. “Local Waves”, Andrew Gibbs, photography.
31. SASSAFRASS 417 Second St.
32. OLD TOWN ART GALLERY 417 Second St Featured artist, Susan Walsh Harper, watercolors. Susan will be live painting throughout the evening and be able to answer questions and chat with visitors.
33. HUMBOLDT CHOCOLATE 425 Snug Alley Rob Hampson, artwork.
34. BAYFRONT RESTAURANT 1 F St. Plaza
35. PALI YOGA 117 F St. Now Open!
36. LINEN CLOSET 127 F St. Humboldt Rocks, a new jewelry line by local artisan Laura Wellman.
37. THE LITTLE SHOP OF HERS 416 Second St. Gus Clark, paintings.
38. BUZZARDS NEST ANTIQUES & UNIQUES 420 Second St Dennis Finley Jr., Photographer. Local History 1800’s – Current.
39. EUREKA BOOKS 426 Second St. Local Author Barry Evans will be signing his book “Revenge of Field Notes”, the latest installation of the popular Field Notes anthology. Refreshments will be served.
39a. THE WORKS 434 Second St.
40. MANY HANDS GALLERY 438 Second St. “Naturescapes”, Elaina Erola, watercolors of the Northcoast, originals and prints.
40a. SEAMOOR’S 212 F St. Greeting cards by Seana Burden and art books by Jessee Wiedel.
41. ALIROSE 229 F St. Susan Strope, floral paintings. DJ Laura.
42. THE WINE SPOT 234 F St. Susan Strope, oil paintings. Jackson Thaler ard, watercolor and paper engineering.
43. AMERCIAN INDIAN ART AND GIFT SHOP 245 F St. Local, popular artists.
43. HUMBOLDT BAY COFFEE 526 Opera Alley Local artist featured.
44. OLD TOWN COFFEE and CHOCOLATES 211 F St. Lost Coast High School, student photography. Music by Jim Lahman Band.
45. OLD TOWN ANTIQUE LIGHTING 203 F St. John Palmer, landscape paintings.
46. TIMBER BOUTIQUE 541 Second St. Champagne Bar to celebrate first year!
46a. OBERON GRILL 516 Second St. Always open late for Arts Alive.
47. FIVE ELEVEN 511 Second St. Andrei Hedstorm, oil paintings.
48. BACK ROOM GALLERY 525 Second St. “Abstracts in the Back Room”, Reuben T. Mayes, abstract expressionist artist, original
acrylic paintings, greeting cards, prints (of SOLD originals), and t-shirts. Live painting with Reuben.
48a. TWO STREET ART LAB 527 Second St. Opening reception for “Open Heart Eight – Love and Forgiveness”, this community group show is an exhibition of heartful art by local artists featuring 2d, 3d, interactive and performing artists.
49. HIMALYAN RUG TRADER 529 Second St.
50. THE BLACK FAUN GALLERY 212 G St. “Celebration Day”, Jesse Wiedel, paintings. A series of paintings offering a satirical, yet sensitive look at Eureka’s bleak and bizarre human landscapes illustrating elements of America’s psychic decline. Also showing, Seana Burden, and Tony Machado, paintings.
51. SYNAPSIS 212 G St. “From the Inside Looking Out and the Outside Looking In”, will present creative contributions from the incarcerated of Humboldt County Correctional Facility, and community members. Following Arts Alive, a cabaret performance featuring music, theater, and aerial dance exploring the ways prison affects the lives of those incarcerated and those on the outside.
51a. JUST MY TYPE LETTERPRESS 501 Third St. Steve Taylor, oil paintings of Humboldt and other Northern California locations.
52. A TASTE OF BIM 613 Third St. Featuring art by Ruben Stokes
52a. HUMBOLDT SKATE LAB 617 Third St. Special showing of original skateboard art from private collection dating back to the 1970s.
52b. BUTTONS 621 Third St. Come see our new look. Introducing Notions Sewing and Fiber Arts School.
53. PARASOL ARTS Paint Your Own Pottery 211 G St.
53b. HUMBOLDT BAY PROVISIONS Second and G Sts.
53c. ORANGE CUP CORAL SALON AND SPA 618 Second St. Rob Hampson, Oil paintings. The Hammered Posey, Orchids for the People.
54. CIA GALLERY 618 Second St.
54a. PIANTE GALLERY 620 Second St. C.R. Spicer, fifty new paintings.
55. SMUG’S PIZZA 626 Second St. Brandon Garland, pen and ink.
56. LOTUS STUDIO 630 Second St.
57. HUMBOLDT HONEYWINE 723 Third St. “Inspired by Nature”, Caitlan Fowler, surreal watercolors.
58. ADORNI CENTER 1011 Waterfront St. Paul Rickard, watercolors. Barbara Saul, paintings.