February Arts Alive
First Saturday Night Arts Alive!
Saturday, February 4, 2017
Presented by Eureka Main Street. Opening receptions for artists, exhibits and performances are held the first Saturday of each month, 6-9 p.m.. For more information, phone Eureka Main Street at 442-9054 or go to www.eurekamainstreet.org
1. HUMBOLDT ARTS COUNCIL at the Morris Graves Museum¬ of Art 636 F St. Performance Rotunda Lindsay Battle, acoustics. Humboldt Artist Gallery Live painting by Sanford Pyron. Many of Sanford’s paintings are from visits to the Estate of Morris Graves. William Thonson Gallery “A Watercolorist’s Perspective from the Other Side of the Tracks”, Paul Rickard, paintings of the decomposing wood piers and rails that run along Humboldt Bay, and the residents who inhabit it. Knight Gallery and Anderson Gallery Annual HAC Juried Member Show Bettiga Gallery “5x7 Art Splurge”. Melvin Schuler Sculpture Garden “Soul Night”, Chuck Johnson. The “Soul Night” installation” is inspired by “The Big Picture Humboldt”, an exhibition curated by Johnson, utilizing and beautifying disused public spaces with wheat-pasted, large format black and white photographs. This series of photographs explores the ecstatic ritual of engaging in one of Humboldt’s most coveted nightlife experiences. “Outdoor”, is a collaborative work by Ben Funke and Walter Early, built over the course of 2 weeks in February. Featured in this exhibition are five large intensely colored modernist steel sculptures that will activate the garden with an electric palette. The duo’s abstract constructions appear to be following thin the footsteps of Anthony Caro, Mark Di Suvero and Richard Deacon. Store/Permanent Collection Gallery Selection of gifts and merchandise inspired by artwork on view by Morris Graves, Glenn Berry, Melvin Schuler, and Romano Gabriel. Homer Balabanis Gallery Humboldt Artist
2. EUREKA THEATER 612 F St.
2a. PAUL’S LIVE FROM NEW YORK PIZZA 604 F St.
4. DISCOVERY MUSEUM 612 G St. Kids Alive Drop Off Program 5:30 to 8 p.m. Kids 3-12 $15 members/$20 non members
5. DALIANES TRAVEL 522 F St. “Loggers and Landcapes”, Claudia Lima. Music by Wynsome Winds.
6. F STREET PHOTO GALLER at SWANLUND’S 527 F St. “Birds of Humboldt County”, Leslie Scopes Anderson and Mike Anderson, photograpy.
7. EVOLUTION ACADEMY FOR THE ARTS 526 Fifth St. See us at Old Town Square.
8. HUMBOLDT REPUBLIC 535 Fourth St. Canvases of local screen printing.
9. STONESTHROW BOUTIQUE 423 F St. Drew Jones, mixed media. Dj music.
10. SURFSIDE BURGER SHACK 445 Fifth St.
11. SOULSHINE ARTS 411 Fifth St. Valentine’s Day Special Class, Make Your Own Glass Heart Paperweights.
12. SIDEWALK GALLERY at Ellis Art and Engineering 401 Fifth St. “Art of the West”, Eric Martranga.
13. NORTH COAST REPERTORY THEATRE 300 Fifth St. Ken Jarvella, paintings.
14. CHERI BLACKERBY GALLERY and THE STUDIO 272 C St . “Art In My Work Boots”, Reuben T. Mayers, brilliantly colorful abstract expressionist paintings and ceramic works.
15. C STREET STUDIOS & HALL GALLERY 208 C St. Kathy O’Leary presents the outdoor works of over a dozen plein air artists.
16. SAILOR’S GRAVE TATTOO 138 Second St. Tattoo related art, antiques, and memorabilia. New works.
17. MANTOVA’S TWO STREET MUSIC 124 Second St. Music by Adamis Band, American ballads.
18. GALLAGHER’S IRISH PUB 139 Second St. Ron Thompson, oil paintings.
19. JACK’S SEAFOOD RESTAURANT 4 C St., Suite B Richard Dunning, paintings.
20. STEVE AND DAVE’S First and C St. Barry Evans, photography. Music by Dr. Squid.
21. REDWOOD CURTAIN 220 First St. Nancy Jioras, wire wrapped stone jewelry, just in time for Valentine’s Day.
22. CHAPALA CAFE 201 Second St. Kylan Luken, photography.
22a. TAILOR’D NAILS & SPA 215 Second St. Laurel Mckay, lithographs, and Damiana Krueger-Mayo, hand-crafted jewelry.
23. GOOD RELATIONS 223 Second St. Rachel Robinson, paintings.
24. HUMBOLDT HERBALS 300 Second St. Sandor Diabankouezi, traditional Congolese Mikwe paintings. Live music by Belles of the Levee, Depression era jazz.
24. C.L. LEATHERS 320 Second St
25. THE SIREN’S SONG 325 Second Street, Suite 102.
25a. RADIANT LIVING GALLERY 325 Second St., Suite 302
25b. BLUE OX BOUTIQUE 325 Second St. Augustus Clark, paintings.
25c. HERE & THERE & VINTAGE 339 Second St. Featuring local crafts & gallery art, Mexican treasures. Music by Johnee Angell, spinning records and performing a little hip hop.
26. CLARKE HISTORICAL MUSEUM 240 E St. “Humboldt County Remembers the 1960s”, special highlights being music & ladies’ fashion. Community Case features vintage & modern teapots, from the collection of Cheryl Pekar.
26a. CALIFORNIA MENTOR 317 Third St.
27. BELLA BASKETS 311 E St. Robin and John Praytor, mosaic art; Humbolicious first pressed olive oil tasting!
26b. HSU THIRD STREET GALLERY 416 Third St. “Just Kids: tender forever”, Megan May and Marval A. Rex, video, photographs, and installation.; “Trasnportraits”, Lorenzo Triburgo, photographs.
27. STUDIO 424 424 Third St.
27a. THE BODEGA 426 Third St. "Lichenized", megan bishop.
27b. SHIPWRECK! Vintage and Handmade 430 Third St. Nicholas Dominic Talvola, photograpy.
27c. BECAUSE COFFEE 300 F St. “Shapes and Colors”, Rae Miller and Seierra Martin, acrylics on canvas.
28. THE SPEAKEASY 411 Opera Alley
28a. CAFÉ NOONER 409 Opera Alley “Art by Chris”, mixed media. Music by John Myers and Jim Silva, acoustical guitars and singing harmonies.
29. RAMONE’S 209 E St. Claire Astra, elegant, and ethereal mixed media pieces. Music by The Sassafras Belly Dance Company.
29a. BOOKLEGGER 402 Second St. Featuring the Art of the Written Word.
30. LOS BAGELS TRUCHAS GALLERY 403 Second St. “Local Waves”, Andrew Gibbs, photography.
31. SASSAFRASS 417 Second St.
32. OLD TOWN ART GALLERY 417 Second St Featured artist, new member Lorna Saner, objects d’art, and jewelry from fused and dichroic glass.
33. HUMBOLDT CHOCOLATE 425 Snug Alley Rob Hampson, artwork.
34. BAYFRONT RESTAURANT 1 F St. Plaza
35. PALI YOGA 117 F St. Now Open! “Artists of the Lower Mattole”, John McAbery, wood sculptures, Tony Anderson, painting, Becky Grant, ceramic sculpture, Aaron Raplenovich, mixed media, Tina DeProspero, painting, and David Wren, painting.
36. LINEN CLOSET 127 F St. “Hammered Posy”, Ashley English, unique jewelry designs.
37. THE LITTLE SHOP OF HERS 416 Second St. Marilyn Monroe prints.
38. BUZZARDS NEST ANTIQUES & UNIQUES 420 Second St Terri Sly, mixed media dimensional art.
39. EUREKA BOOKS 426 Second St.
39a. THE WORKS 434 Second St.
40. MANY HANDS GALLERY 438 Second St. “Naturescapes”, Elaina Erola, watercolors of the Northcoast, originals and prints.
40a. SEAMOOR’S 212 F St. Grand opening celebration in our new location.
41. ALIROSE 229 F St. Susan Strope, floral paintings. DJ Laura.
42. THE WINE SPOT 234 F St. Susan Strope, oil paintings. Music by Michael David, acoustic, songs on request.
43. AMERCIAN INDIAN ART AND GIFT SHOP 245 F St. Local, popular artists.
43. HUMBOLDT BAY COFFEE 526 Opera Alley Local artist featured. Music by Kenny Ray and the Mighty Rovers.
44. OLD TOWN COFFEE and CHOCOLATES 211 F St. Zane Middle School Art Class. Music by Lizzy and the Moonbeams.
45. OLD TOWN ANTIQUE LIGHTING 203 F St. John Palmer, landscape paintings.
46. TIMBER BOUTIQUE 541 Second St.
46a. OBERON GRILL 516 Second St. Always open late for Arts Alive.
47. FIVE ELEVEN 511 Second St.
48. BACK ROOM GALLERY 525 Second St. “Abstracts in the Back Room”, Reuben T. Mayes, abstract expressionist artist, original
acrylic paintings, greeting cards, prints (of SOLD originals), and t-shirts. Live painting with Reuben.
48a. TWO STREET ART LAB 527 Second St.
49. HIMALYAN RUG TRADER 529 Second St.
50. THE BLACK FAUN GALLERY 212 G St. Fennel Blythe, ink on paper, Stilson Snow, photographs.
51. SYNAPSIS 212 G St. Open House at our new space.
52. A TASTE OF BIM 613 Third St. Susan Strope, paintings.
52a. HUMBOLDT SKATE LAB 617 Third St. Special showing of original skateboard art from private collection dating back to the 1970s.
52b. BUTTONS 621 Third St. Featured artist Lida Penkova. Come see our new look. Introducing Notions Sewing and Fiber Arts School.
53. PARASOL ARTS Paint Your Own Pottery 211 G St.
53b. HUMBOLDT BAY PROVISIONS Second and G Sts.
54. CIA GALLERY 618 Second St. Ben Vaugn Zeitlin, ink and watercolor illustrations, and Kat Bones, ceramic sculpture.
54a. PIANTE GALLERY 620 Second St. Willa Briggs, and Yael Bentovim.
55. SMUG’S PIZZA 626 Second St. Brandon Garland, pen and ink.
56. LOTUS STUDIO 630 Second St. Sandra Stremcha, repurpose lamps exhitibition.
57. HUMBOLDT HONEYWINE 723 Third St. Sheba Goldstein, watercolors.
58. ADORNI CENTER 1011 Waterfront St. Paul Rickard, watercolors. Barbara Saul, pastels.