December Arts Alive
First Saturday Night Arts Alive!
Saturday, December 3, 1016
Presented by Eureka Main Street. Opening receptions for artists, exhibits and performances are held the first Saturday of each month, 6-9 p.m.. For more information, phone Eureka Main Street at 442-9054 or go to www.eurekamainstreet.org
Free 5x7 photos with Santa! at Forever Young Beauty Salon, 308 2nd Street. Photos will be taken by a photographer Matt Morgan and available for pick up at Swanlund's Camera, 527 F Street. Happy Holidays from Eureka Main Street!
Humboldt Bay Fire will have a barrel for their Toy Drive at Forever Young Beauty Salon as well. Bring a new unwrapped toy to brighten a child's Christmas.
1. EUREKA INN 518 Seventh St. Live swing band in the lobby 5-8:30pm. Live music in The Palm Lounge starting at 9pm.
2. HUMBOLDT ARTS COUNCIL at the Morris Graves Museum¬ of Art 636 F St. Performance Rotunda
William Thonson Gallery “A Watercolorist’s Perspective from the Other Side of the Tracks”, Paul Rickard, paintings of the decomposing wood piers and rails that run along Humboldt Bay, and the residents who inhabit it. Knight Gallery and Anderson Gallery Annual HAC Juried Member Show Bettiga Gallery “5x7 Art Splurge”. Melvin Schuler Sculpture Garden “Soul Night”, Chuck Johnson. The “Soul Night” installation” is inspired by “The Big Picture Humboldt”, an exhibition curated by Johnson, utilizing and beautifying disused public spaces with wheat-pasted, large format black and white photographs. This series of photographs explores the ecstatic ritual of engaging in one of Humboldt’s most coveted nightlife experiences. “Outdoor”, is a collaborative work by Ben Funke and Walter Early, built over the course of 2 weeks in February. Featured in this exhibition are five large intensely colored modernist steel sculptures that will activate the garden with an electric palette. The duo’s abstract constructions appear to be following thin the footsteps of Anthony Caro, Mark Di Suvero and Richard Deacon. Store/Permanent Collection Gallery Selection of gifts and merchandise inspired by artwork on view by Morris Graves, Glenn Berry, Melvin Schuler, and Romano Gabriel. Homer Balabanis Gallery Humboldt Artist Gallery Holiday Sale.
3. EUREKA THEATER 612 F St.
3a. PAUL’S LIVE FROM NEW YORK PIZZA 604 F St.
4. REDWOOD ART ASSOCIATION 603 F St. “Off the Wall”, member show and sale.
4a. DISCOVERY MUSEUM 612 G St. Kids Alive Drop Off Program 5:30 to 8 p.m. Kids 3-12 $15 members/$20 non members
5. PRIMATE TATU 505 H St. Michael Arneson, artwork.
6. DALIANES TRAVEL 522 F St. Jody Bryan, watercolors, local landscapes.
7. F ST. FOTO GALLERY at Swanlund’s Camera 527 F St. “Trinidad to Moonstone”, The Redwood Camera Club, home to many award-winning photographers,
photos in the show are the culmination of a year-long effort by members of the RCC to photograph the many ways the coastal area from Trinidad to
Moonstone can be seen. Gallery curator Thomas Bethune, photographers in the exhibit include Pam Cone, Steve Conger, Sharon Falk-Carlsen, John Exley, Stephen Kamelgarn, Steven Lemke, Jack Hopkins, Dick Kidder, Rose Kidder, John Lynch, Greg Nyquist, Joe Ortiz and
7a. THE LOCAL 517 F St. Nickolas T. Clark, acrylic on canvas.
7b. REDWOOD MUSIC MART 511 F St. Music by Tim Wilson (of the Compost Mountain Boys).
7c. NORTH COAST DANCE 426 F St. The studio will be open to the public to see some Nutcracker in process.
8. EVOLUTION ACADEMY FOR THE ARTS 526 Fifth St. “A Year In Evolution”, Laurie Tamietti, new owner, presents a slide show of memories from Evolution’s first year.
9. ROSE’S BILLIARDS 535 Fifth St. Live graffiti art show in front of Rose’s Billiards. Featuring 10 various local artists.
10. HUMBOLDT REPUBLIC 535 Fourth St. Canvases of local screen printing.
11. STONESTHROW BOUTIQUE 423 F St.
12. BLACK LIGHTNING MOTORCYCLE CAFÉ 404 F St. Music by Soul Sidekicks.
13. SURFSIDE BURGER SHACK 445 Fifth St.
14. SOULSHINE ARTS 411 Fifth St.
15. SIDEWALK GALLERY at Ellis Art and Engineering 401 Fifth St. “Soc Paintings”, Anna Neubauer.
17. CHERI BLACKERBY GALLERY and THE STUDIO 272 C St . Reel Art, a group exhibition by artists at The Studio. Reel Art consists of brilliantly created multimedia artworks, to include paper mache, ceramic, paintings, costumes, props, altered found objects, etc. "Reel Art" is their opportunity to show the community their four-dimensional talents. The artists at The Studio write stories, scripts and music as well as create props, backdrops, and costumes, they perform as actors, musicians and directors.
18. C STREET STUDIOS & HALL GALLERY 208 C St. “The Awesome Beautiful Art and Floral Painting of Augustus Clark”, Augustus Clark, paintings.
18a. SAILOR’S GRAVE TATTOO 138 Second St. Tattoo related art, antiques, and memorabilia. New works.
18b. MANTOVA’S TWO STREET MUSIC 124 Second St. Live music by Adamas!
19. GALLAGHER’S IRISH PUB 139 Second St. Ron Thompson, oil paintings.
20. BAR FLY PUB AND GRUB 91 Commercial St. Kathleen Bryson, esq. art from her private collection.
21. JACK’S SEAFOOD RESTAURANT 4 C St., Suite B Richard Dunning, paintings.
22. STEVE AND DAVE’S First and C St. Barry Evans, photography. Music by Dr. Squid
23. CHAPALA CAFE 201 Second St. Kylan Luken, photography.
23a. TAILOR’D NAILS AND SPA 215 Second St. Rob Hampson, artwork.
23b. GOOD RELATIONS 223 Second St. “Humboldt Beautiful”, Kimberly Ann Boudoir, photograhpy.
24. HUMBOLDT HERBALS 300 Second St. “Your Life Is A Story”, Bob & Donna Sellers, mixed media/acrylic. Music by Redwood Coast Montessori Middle School.
24. FOREVER BEAUTY SALON 308 Second St. Join us for our holiday open house.
24a. C.L. LEATHERS 320 Second St. German Oktoberfest samples
25. THE SIREN’S SONG 325 Second Street, Suite 102.
25b. RADIANT LIVING GALLERY 325 Second St., Suite 302
25c. HERE & THERE. Local & Mexican Crafts & Furniture 339 Second St. Various local artists. Live music.
26. CIARA’S IRISH SHOP 334 Second St. Sam Lundeen, artwork
26a. CLARKE HISTORICAL MUSEUM 240 E St.
26c. CALIFORNIA MENTOR 317 Third St.
27. BELLA BASKETS 311 E St. Chelcie Anne Starks, paintings, Robin and John Praytor, mosaics. Humboldt products tasting bar, including fresh olive oil. Sampling our new Pagan Chocolate from Drake’s Glen.
27a. HSU THIRD STREET GALLERY 416 Third St. “Affordable for the Season”, a holiday exhibition featuring nineteen artists including Conrad Calimpong, Kit Davenport, Trent Franks, Nancy Frazier, Amy Granfield, David Jordan, Peggy Loudon, Malia Matsumoto, Laurel McKay, Demetri Mitsanas, Lush Newton, Kelsey Owens, Michael Pearce, Keith Schneider, Meredith Smith, Gina Tuzzi, Sarah Whorf, Mark Young and Dave Zdrazil, prints, ceramics, sculpture, and paintings. “The Creation Series”, Kathrin Burleson. The series features a selection of vibrant watercolor paintings inspired by The Book of Genesis, the Bible's creation story.
27b. STUDIO 424 424 Third St. "Imoto" (Sister), Holly Harvey and the Hora Center, photography. Exhibit is of Kamisu, Japan, Eureka's Sister City, located about 55 miles east of Tokyo.
27c. THE BODEGA 426 Third St. "Lichenized", megan bishop.
27d. SHIPWRECK! Vintage and Handmade 430 Third St. Philomena Barba, mixed media artwork.
27d. BECAUSE COFFEE 300 F St.
28. THE SPEAKEASY 411 Opera Alley
28a. CAFÉ NOONER 409 Opera Alley Alicia Curtis, paintings. Music by John Myers and Jim Silva, acoustical guitars and singing harmonies.
29. RAMONE’S 209 E St. “Employee Art Exhibit”, featuring the artwork of employees from each of our stores. Live music, and crafts created by our employees will be on sale.
29a. BOOKLEGGER 402 Second St. Featured artist, Booklegger founder Jonnie Russell, sculptures. Also the art of the written word/
30. LOS BAGELS TRUCHAS GALLERY 403 Second St. Tina Gleave, wearable art, featuring her newest, tropical collection of hand painted silk scarves.
31. SASSAFRASS 417 Second St.
32. OLD TOWN ART GALLERY 417 Second St Featured artist new member Lorna Saner, glass art.
33. HUMBOLDT CHOCOLATE 425 Snug Alley Rob Hampson, artwork.
34. SUMMITT FUNDING 108 F St. Ron Thompson, oil paintings.
35. BAYFRONT RESTAURANT 1 F St. Plaza
36. VANITY 109 F St. Stilson Snow, photography.
36a. STRICTLY FOR THE BIRDS 123 F St. Local photography.
3b. LINEN CLOSET 127 F St. Gina Mobley, local photographer, new supply of alphabet art.
37. THE LITTLE SHOP OF HERS 416 Second St. Gregory Allbright and Seana Burden, paintings and drawings, including glitter, dead rocks stars, and self portraits.
38. SEAMOOR’S 418 Second St “Classic Tin Toys”.
38a. BUZZARDS NEST ANTIQUES & UNIQUES 420 Second St Ashley Sutherland-Sieger, industrial seascapes series IVI; recycled mixed media, wood, metal and found objects. One of a kind art.
39. EUREKA BOOKS 426 Second St. Book signings of “Little Mouse & the Big Tree”, by Kate Juliana; “Chasing Down the Moon” and new book “After the Pretty Fox”, by Carla Baku. Both are local authors.
39a. THE WORKS 434 Second St.
40. MANY HANDS GALLERY 438 Second St. Artistic work from over 40 local artists.
40a. HUMBOLDT CARPET COMPANY 212 F St.
41. THE PHILOSOPHER’S STONE GALLERY 218 F St. Monica Star, visionary art with colored pencil and ink.
41a. ALIROSE 229 F St. Susan Strope, floral paintings.
42. THE WINE SPOT 234 F St. Ron Irvin, photography.
43. HUMBOLDT BAY COFFEE 526 Opera Alley Sonny Wong, paintings. Music by Kenny Ray and the Mighty Rovers.
44. SWEET TEMPTATIONS 215 F St.
45. OLD TOWN COFFEE and CHOCOLATES 211 F St. Blake Regan, artwork. Music by Lost Dogs Band.
45a. OLD TOWN ANTIQUE LIGHTING 203 F St. John Palmer, landscape paintings.
46. TIMBER BOUTIQUE 541 Second St. Holiday Free People trunk Show, wine and goodies. Live music.
46a. OBERON GRILL 516 Second St. Always open late for Arts Alive.
47. FIVE ELEVEN 511 Second St.
48. BACK ROOM GALLERY 525 Second St. “Abstracts in the Back Room”, Reuben T. Mayes, abstract expressionist artist, original
acrylic paintings, greeting cards, prints (of SOLD originals), and t-shirts. Live painting with Reuben.
48a. TWO STREET ART LAB 527 Second St. Holiday Pop-Up Shop featuring hand-crafted gifts from artists of The Ink People Center for the Arts. There will also be interactive art activities, button-making and print-making, to spread compassion, love, light, inclusion, and diversity during this holiday season.
49. HIMALYAN RUG TRADER 529 Second St.
50. HUMBOLDT HARDWARE 531 Second St. Featured artist Christina Anistasia, woodturning demonstrations, and redwood bat giveaways to kids.
51. THE BLACK FAUN GALLERY 212 G St. “Beyond Photography”, Suk Choo Kim, mixed media paintings on photos.
51a. SYNAPSIS 212 G St. Open House at our new space. Stefan Elliot, artwork. with aerial, weird characters, odd sites, CLOUDS
9-10:30 Cabaret Performance featuring aerial dance, original music, dance...10:30-midnight bands ++dancing.$10-20 suggested donation (cabaret and bands/dancing)No one turned away for lack of funds
52. A TASTE OF BIM 613 Third St. Susan Strope, paintings.
52a. HUMBOLDT SKATE LAB 617 Third St. Special showing of original skateboard art from private collection dating back to the 1970s.
52b. ORIGIN DESIGN LAB 621 Third St.
52c. BUTTONS 621 Third St. Grand reopening! Featured artist Lida Penkova. Come see our new look. Introducing Notions Sewing and Fiber Arts School.
53. PARASOL ARTS Paint Your Own Pottery 211 G St.
53b. HUMBOLDT BAY TOURISM CENTER Second and G Sts. MikkiMoves Real Estate.
54. ORANGE CUP CORAL 612 Second St. Featuring The Hammered Posy, jewelry, and Rob Hampson, artwork.
54a. PIANTE 620 Second St. “Traces of Silence”, Daniel Frachon and Marceau Verdiere.
54b. CIA 620 Second St. (upstairs) Phoebe Andrews and Stefan Elliot. Jane Cooper is popping up her mini shop.
55. SMUG’S PIZZA 626 Second St. Brandon Garland, pen and ink.
56. LOTUS STUDIO 630 Second St. Carolyn Geary, acrylic paintings.
57. STUDIO S 717 Third St. Multiple artists, paintings and photography.
57a. HUMBOLDT HONEYWINE 723 Third St. Artist to be determined. Music by Sarah Torres.
58. ADORNI CENTER 1011 Waterfront St. New artist, Erica Botkin, photography. Paul Rickard, watercolors. Barbara Saul, pastels.